With politics being on many peoples minds these days, I started to think about political movies. There have been many. From moving optimistic nostalgia to glossy "comic" groaners, Washington has as many insider movies as Hollywood (thank you Arron Sorkin). The following are ten hits and three misses made in the name of the U.S. political game.
10. Wag The Dog - Media and politics are inseparable. This comic gem has a sobering message about perception and manipulation.
9. Dave - The synopsis may make you roll your eyes. A man who looks like the president actually becomes president. But, it's execution exceeds expectations.
8. The Contender - One of the better political thrillers in recent memory. That's all I want to say. just see it.
7. Charlie Wilson's War - Worth it if only to see Philip Seymour Hoffman.
6. Why We Fight - A worth while documentary on the political machine.
5. John Adams - A great mini-series on the founding of our county ( I know not a "movie" but it must be seen.)
4. All the Presidents Men - Investigative journalists deal with the dark side of politics and brings down a presidency. Oh, yeah it's true.
3. 13 Days - One of my favorites. It's hard to find another movie that shows different political agendas with such conviction.
2. Dr. Strangelove - One of the greatest satires ever made.
1. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - If you believe in hope and pure ideals you need to see this movie. Think of it as soap for the political soul.
Avoid for your own sanity:
3. Head of State - What the F*%&? No. Not funny not even socially aware.
2. The Distinguished Gentleman - Eddie doesn't even accidentally get it right.
1. 1776 - Politics + Musical = Pain
Happy Birthday Kristie!