Thursday, October 23, 2008

Is Televison Better Then Movies?


We are back in the swing of a new television season. Normally, I hate TV. I don't even get cable or even rabbit ears on my set. I turn it on and I get snow. That is not an oversight by me, I just don't want it in my home. It is a huge time suck. So, why am I about to sing it's praises?

I like what TV can be. Not what it is, but where it can go. You can keep your "reality TV." LC can suck a conch. In fact you can blow up MTV they don't even play music videos. Throw out the game shows. I would rather watch a blank wall for an hour then watch indecisive people labor over picking a box. It's a F*&%ing Case, It don't matter what you pick. But, there are the few shows that get it right.

Part of the reason I like films is because they have a "bigger" story. They go beyond the typical 22 minutes of formula you get on TV and get to something deeper more unique. Check out Synecdoche, New York (Which I am still thinking about five days later, see this movie). But with series like Heroes, 24, and Lost, people are seeing large scale, plot driven stories that rival the big screen alternative. I am also a fan of 30 Rock and the Office which drive story forward without sacrificing the funny. Now if we can just get rid of those ads.

3 comments:

Jen said...

You act like that's a new concept or something. Shows like 24 and such have always been around. It's okay to like tv you don't have to make an excuse as to why your selling out. :o)

media-shy said...

I'm not "selling out." I do like the slow move to more "epic" tv. Sapranos, Rome, John adams etc. this wasn't around 15-20 years ago.

JOSEPH CAMPANELLA said...

MAD MEN is a great show. TWIN PEAKS was a great show. TWILIGHT ZONE was a great show. ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, SIMPSONS, FREAKS AND GEEKS, I LOVE LUCY, ALL IN THE FAMILY, SEINFELD....

LOST is lame.
SOPRANOS was lame.

Actually, most TV is lame.

LAME.