Friday, October 17, 2008

Leave Rififi Alone


The other night I just watched a great noir classic Rififi. I have been told for years to see this film. I was unable to find the film until I got Netflix and let me tell you it was worth the wait. This 1955 french crime thriller keeps you on the edge of your seat and the most intense moments of the film came from the 32 minutes of silence.

If you haven't got it by now, I liked this film. People should see this film. So why, when lighting is captured, do they have to remake the film with less capable people 54 years later?


Do I think that Al Pacino is a bad actor? No. Would I be surprised if they get Paul Greengrass to direct? Absolutely not. I know some of you are thinking, Cool I like shaky -cam. Just stop.

I do like that style of shooting when appropriate. But why would you do that to such a great story where stillness and understatement builds the tension? Before I get ahead of myself on projected style. Let me recap some of the past re-makes.


Point of No Return - La Femme Nikita was better
Psycho - Hitchcock beats Van Saint
The Getaway - McQueen over Alec Baldwin (Stick with 30Rock)
Mr. Deeds - Let me think. Frank Capra or Adam Sandler?
Last Man Standing - Give me Kurosawa's Yojimbo.
The Longest Yard - Please Adam stop.
You've got Mail - Shop Around the Corner had more heart.

And that's from the top of my head. But the remakes keep coming

The Seven Samurai - 2009
Short Circuit - 2010 (Like we need this)
A Nightmare on Elm Street - 2010
The Day the Earth Stood Still - 2008
Escape from New York - 2009
Magnum PI - 2009 (Not really a remake but I thought I should mention It)
Dirty Dozen - 2010


I'll stop now. I think my point was made. So please, don't settle for a studios watered down, half-assed second effort. Stick with the original. Remember Coke 2?








1 comment:

dyerohmeb said...

very true, very true!